When you want something beefy and cheesy, look no further than this Ground Beef and Cheddar Casserole Recipe. It is excellent.
I feel like this casserole is really filling and satisfying…probably because it addresses all of the things I crave most: meat, carbs, and cheese. This is a really easy Weight Watchers Casserole that you can put together quickly for a weeknight dinner and the family will love it.
The bell peppers and zucchini give it a nice flavor and bulk it up some too. It’s also a sneaky way to get those veggies in for the kids!
When I was making this, I felt like Honey Boo Boo’s mom making one of her “multi-meals”….but it really is an all in one dish! Carbs? Check. Protein? Check. Dairy? Check. Vegetables? Check. See? It is a multi-meal! Everything you need in one fantastic casserole. Enjoy!
GROUND BEEF AND CHEDDAR CASSEROLE RECIPE
- 6 oz whole wheat egg noodles - (wide, uncooked)
- 16 oz extra lean ground beef - (95/5)
- 2 medium zucchini - (diced)
- 1 medium yellow onion - (finely diced)
- 1 red bell pepper - (seeded and diced)
- 1 16 oz container fat free sour cream
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup reduced fat - (shredded, sharp cheddar)
- 4 garlic cloves - (minced)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 9” x 13” baking dish with non-fat cooking spray.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, drain and place into a large bowl. Mix in the sour cream and parmesan, and then pour into baking dish.
- While the noodles are cooking, spray a large, nonstick skillet with non-fat cooking spray, and add in the garlic. Cook until tender and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the ground beef. Season with salt and pepper, and cook until no longer pink…about 5-8 minutes.
- Add in the zucchini, bell peppers and onions and cook until vegetables just being to become tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in diced tomatoes, dried oregano, dried basil, and dried parsley, bring to a simmer, and cook until the sauce begins to thicken, about 3-4 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Empty the beef and vegetable mixture over the noodles, and evenly sprinkle the reduced fat cheddar over top.
- Place in oven and bake until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.