Ground Beef and Cheddar Casserole
A delicious and easy casserole recipe that will be a hit with the whole family. Cheesy, beefy and full of flavor, it’s also incredibly satisfying and makes great leftovers.
- 6oz wide, whole wheat noodles (I used Ronzoni Extra Wide Noodles)
- 16oz extra lean ground beef
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 16oz container fat free sour cream
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ cups reduced fat, shredded, sharp cheddar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 9” x 13” baking dish with non-fat cooking spray.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, drain and place into a large bowl. Mix in the sour cream and parmesan, and then pour into baking dish.
- While the noodles are cooking, spray a large, nonstick skillet with non-fat cooking spray, and add in the garlic. Cook until tender and fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add in the ground beef. Season with salt and pepper, and cook until no longer pink…about 5-8 minutes.
- Add in the zucchini, bell peppers and onions and cook until vegetables just being to become tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in diced tomatoes, dried oregano, dried basil, and dried parsley, bring to a simmer, and cook until the sauce begins to thicken, about 3-4 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Empty the beef and vegetable mixture over the noodles, and evenly sprinkle the reduced fat cheddar over top.
- Place in oven and bake until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 1/4 cups
Each serving = 7 Points
PER SERVING: 289 calories; 8g fat; 23g carbohydrates; 29g protein; 4g fiber