Growing up as a kid, my busy parents often fed my sister and I TV dinners…Swanson TV dinners to be exact. I remember them like it was yesterday. Salisbury Steak was often the main entree, and even though I now know better about eating healthy, all I knew back then was that those Salisbury steaks tasted pretty darn good. So, I decided to play around in the kitchen and see if I could make a healthier version that would be tasty enough to bring back my childhood memories of TV dinners, while still keeping the Weight Watchers Points low. I used a few traditional Salisbury steak recipes as my guideline, and then made a lot of healthier changes. I was thrilled with how delicious these turned out! I served them over some good ol’ mashed potatoes and they were a hit. Because each serving is just 3 Points, I went to won with the mashed potatoes and wasn’t too concerned about letting that have a bit more Points. But next time, I may try them over my Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes to keep the meal Points even lower. But please note that recipe is one of my older ones, and is still based on Weight Watchers old Points system. So if you make it, you’ll need to re-calculate it. I’ve been meaning to get around to updating that one, but haven’t done it yet…sorry about that. But if you were once (or still are!) a fan of Salisbury steaks, this Salisbury Steaks recipe is a must make. Enjoy!
A throwback to the TV dinner days, these lightened up and much healthier Salisbury steak is a delicious way to reminisce. Flavorful, yet light, this dish makes a wonderful family dinner recipe that won’t break your Weight Watchers bank
- 1lb extra lean ground beef (96% lean)
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 2 cups fat free beef broth
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a medium sized bowl, combine ground beef, ½ of the onions, breadcrumbs, egg substitute, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, onion soup mix and pepper.
- Shape into 8 oval patties. Spray a large nonstick skillet with an olive oil mister or non-fat cooking spray and set over medium high heat. Brown both sides of patties, about 3-4 minutes each side.
- Remove patties from pan, and then return pan to heat. Add in remaining onions and mushrooms, and 1 tbsp of the beef broth, and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Return the Salisbury steak patties to the pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining beef broth, remaining Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, flour, and mustard powder.
- Pour into skillet over the meat, turn heat down to medium-low, cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 Salisbury Steak patty with sauce
Each serving = 3 Points
PER SERVING: 126 calories; 3g fat; 12g carbohydrates; 15g protein; 1.5g fiber