If you’ve ever had stuffed mushrooms appetizers a party or dinner, then you know how delicious those succulent little devils are!
So, after seeing a few versions pop up on the Internet lately, I decided to make my own, low-calorie Stuffed Mushrooms Casserole that would fulfill all the taste requirements of traditional stuffed mushrooms, but still be a good Weight Watchers Recipe.
I added some savory seasonings like thyme and sage, which remind me of Thanksgiving stuffing. And I used Panko breadcrumbs to keep it light, but still bread-y (yes, that is a word, ok?) It was absolutely delicious! Covered in ooey, gooey mozzarella cheese, and very satisfying, this guilt-free Weight Watchers casserole recipe was a real hit.
It goes perfectly with your favorite chicken or turkey entree and heats up very nicely as leftovers the next day. This Stuffed Mushroom Casserole Recipe an absolute winner.
STUFFED MUSHROOM CASSEROLE
- 16 oz mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 cup whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp light butter
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a 2qt casserole dish with an olive oil mister or non-fat cooking spray.
- In a medium, nonstick skillet melt butter over medium high heat. Add in onions and celery, and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms, garlic, thyme, sage and salt and pepper, and cook until mushrooms are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer mushroom mixture to a large bowl, and stir in all remaining ingredients, except for the shredded mozzarella.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish and top evenly with the shredded mozzarella.
- Place into oven and bake until cheese becomes golden and bubbly