So, after seeing a few versions pop up on the Internet lately, I decided to make my own, low-calorie Stuffed Mushrooms Casserole that would fulfill all the taste requirements of traditional stuffed mushrooms, but still be a good Weight Watchers Recipe.
I added some savory seasonings like thyme and sage, which remind me of Thanksgiving stuffing. And I used Panko breadcrumbs to keep it light, but still bread-y (yes, that is a word, ok?) It was absolutely delicious! Covered in ooey, gooey mozzarella cheese, and very satisfying, this guilt-free Weight Watchers casserole recipe was a real hit.
It goes perfectly with your favorite chicken or turkey entree and heats up very nicely as leftovers the next day. Just 3 Points for a half cup serving makes this Stuffed Mushroom Casserole Recipe an absolute winner.
Stuffed Mushroom Casserole
Shake things up with the delicious and unique low calorie casserole recipe that puts stuffed mushrooms into a new form. Savory and satisfying, it makes an excellent Weight Watchers side recipe for your favorite main course.
- 16oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tbsp light butter
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a 2qt casserole dish with an olive oil mister or non-fat cooking spray.
- In a medium, nonstick skillet melt butter over medium high heat. Add in onions and celery, and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms, garlic, thyme, sage and salt and pepper, and cook until mushrooms are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer mushroom mixture to a large bowl, and stir in all remaining ingredients, except for the shredded mozzarella.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish and top evenly with the shredded mozzarella.
- Place into oven and bake until cheese becomes golden and bubbly, about 10-15 minutes.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1/2 cup
Each serving = 3 Points
PER SERVING: 137 calories; 5g fat; 11g carbohydrates; 11g protein; 2g fiber