I don’t know why, but I haven’t made a baked potato in a while. I LOVE them. But maybe I’ve just assumed that they are too simple or not satisfying enough for a man dish recipe. Recently, at a restaurant, I saw a stuffed baked potato on the menu, and that got my mind spinning about creating my own, Weight Watchers friendly version. So, while craving tacos, I came up with this healthy, Stuffed Southwestern Baked Potato Recipe that turned out incredible. It had all the flavors I was hankering for, but with a lot less guilt. Each stuffed potato is just 7 Points, and is very satisfying. I paired mine with some steamed broccoli, and felt that it was a very adequate dinner. It’s also a great way to get in a ton of vegetables and fiber. This Stuffed Southwestern Baked Potato definitely reminded me of how much I love baked potatoes, and I’ll definitely be making some more often. Enjoy!
Stuffed Southwestern Baked Potato
Fill yourself up with this delicious and healthy stuffed baked potato. Smothered with all the most delicious fixins, this potato can easily serve as a main course for dinner or lunch.
- 4 medium, Russet potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 small bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pierce each potato deeply with a fork or sharp knife four (4) times on each side at approximately 1-inch intervals. This will allow steam to escape during the baking. Sprinkle potatoes with the coarse salt, wrap in foil and place on middle rack in oven. Bake until potatoes are cooked through and tender when pierced with a fork, about 45-60 minutes.
- Remove from oven, remove foil and set aside.
- Spray a small, nonstick skillet with non-fat cooking spray or an olive oil mister, and set over medium high heat. Add in the garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the beans, tomatoes, bell peppers, cumin, coriander, chili powder, onion powder, and paprika. Saute for about 3-4 minutes, or just until the beans are well heated, and the bell peppers are tender.
- Slice open each potato, and top each with ¼ of the tomatoes/beans/pepper mixture. Add 2 tbsp of the shredded cheese over the top of each potato.
- Now top each potato with 2 tbsp of sour cream, 1 tbsp salsa, 1 tbsp black olives, and 1 tbsp green onions. Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (Southwestern)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 stuffed potato
Each serving = 7 Points
PER SERVING: 270 calories; 4g fat; 49g carbohydrates; 11g protein; 6g fiber