Truthfully, I’ve never been a fan of peas. I usually always pick them out of whatever food I’m eating, unless it’s masked really well in a carb-y, cheesy casserole. To eat them straight up, as a side to a meal, is like my worst nightmare. But one day, while browsing through one of my cooking magazines, I came across a lovely photo of a beautiful, bright green pea soup. The fresh, stunning color inspired me to give this little legume another shot. Pea soup recipes are surprisingly popular, so I thought that for one day, I must put aside my hated of the peas, and for the sake of all my pea soup loving readers, I need to give pea soup a chance. I bought some beautiful and taut fresh peas from the store, which are much more appealing than the canned or frozen, and that got me a little excited. I whipped up the low calorie pea soup in no time, and was ready for my taste. Creamy, rich, savory…..I CANNOT BELIEVE I LIKED IT. Not just tolerated it, I liked it. The distinctive taste of the pea was still there, though it was transformed dramatically by all the buttery shallots and salty feta. I devoured a bowl, and even voluntarily ate leftovers the next day. It was excellent. And just 4 Points per serving! Truly a great way to get in some serious protein and fiber, and it’s very filling. Pair this with a light turkey or tuna sandwich and you’ve got one amazing Weight Watchers meal.
Fresh Spring Pea Soup
This fresh and savory Spring Pea Soup is delicious and so easy to prepare. The bright color from the fresh peas is lovely, and makes this light soup as appealing to the eye as it is to the palate.
- 1 lb fresh peas (not canned or frozen)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp light butter
- 2 medium to large shallots, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt, at room temp
- 1/4 cup fat free feta cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter over medium high heat. Add in shallots, and cook until shallots become tender ad translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in peas and water, and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer, and cook for about 10 minutes, until the peas are softened.
- Remove from heat, and carefully pour into a blender and add in the feta and parsley. Puree until smooth.
- Pour soup back into pan and set over low heat to keep warm. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in the yogurt. Whisk until smooth, and add additional salt and pepper as desired.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 ¼ cups
Each serving = 4 Points
PER SERVING: 167 calories; 2.5g fat; 22g carbohydrates; 13g protein; 6g fiber