As school starts up, and we say goodbye to these last few days of summer, my mind has already kicked in gear for fall foods. And this Chicken and Quinoa Meatball Stew Recipe is the perfect way to kick off the season.
The meatballs in this dish are made with ground chicken and cooked quinoa (I used red quinoa because that’s what I had on hand, but regular quinoa works just fine), then seasoned with dry onion soup mix.
The quinoa helps add volume and lots of extra nutrients to the meatballs, and is a great alternative to traditional breadcrumbs. The stew itself is simple, yet flavorful, and the potatoes make it feel so hearty and filling.
It’s a low calorie stew recipe that’s big and tasty enough to satisfy, yet is light enough to not feel like cement in your stomach.
My Chicken and Quinoa Meatball Stew was a total hit, and now I am in love with the idea of quinoa in meatballs!
- 1 1/4 lb ground chicken breast
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 4 medium sized potatoes (quartered)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 cups fat free chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 egg
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 thyme sprigs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non-fat cooking spray.
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, quinoa, liquid egg substitute, and onion soup mix packet. Mix well, and form 24 meatballs.
- Place meatballs on baking sheet and bake in oven, turning once, for 8-10 minutes. Just enough so that they are browned on the outside, but not entirely cooked through on the inside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a dutch oven, or large pot, over medium high heat. Add in onions and garlic, and sauté until onions are translucent. Add in potatoes, broth, thyme leaves, bay leaves, paprika and salt and pepper, and turn heat to medium. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add in meatballs, adding additional broth as needed to make sure they are all soaking in the liquid.
- Cover and simmer an additional 20 minutes.
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 4 meatballs and 1/6th of the stew
Each serving = 5 Points*
*based only on ingredients with an SP Freestyle value