French fries are AMAZING. We all love them. And if you love them as much as I do, then that’s probably one of the factors that ended up leading you to this blog of Weight Watchers Recipes – because you ate too many of them! But fear not, fellow french fry lovers…today’s Baked Fries with Garlic Cheese Sauce Recipe will have you drooling with excitement at the mere thought of a hearty serving of fries smothered in a creamy cheese sauce. That’s right, these fries are incredibly delicious, and still a Weight Watchers friendly dish at just 5 Points per serving. The fries are baked, not fried, but tossing then in egg whites first helps get that crunch on the outside, which is key. And the creamy garlic cheese sauce is excellent! This low calorie comfort recipe had me feeling like I was eating my favorite cheese fries at a local amusement park. They were THAT good. Feel free to spice up your fries with some old bay seasoning or chipotle chili powder for some added flavor. But this Baked Fries with Garlic Cheese Sauce Recipe is an absolute must make. Enjoy!
Baked Fries with Garlic Cheese Sauce
Crispy baked fries served with a creamy, velvety cheese for just 5 Points per serving, this is one Weight Watchers recipe that will have you jumping for joy. Now you can savor one of your favorite junk foods with this healthier version, and feel not an ounce of guilt.
- 5 medium sized gold potatoes, washed and dried
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup reduced fat milk
- 3 tbsp reduced fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup Mexican style cheese, shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Slice potatoes into french fry-shape strips. Place in a bowl and toss with the egg whites.
- Season with salt.
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper, and spray with nonfat cooking spray.
- Remove fries from bowl, gently shaking off any excess dripping egg white, and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Place in oven and bake for about 10 minutes. Then remove the baking sheet from the oven, and carefully remove the parchment paper, sliding the fries directly onto the baking sheet.
- Place back into the oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until the fries are golden brown and crispy on the outside, but soft on the inside. Make sure to toss the fries around about every 8 minutes to ensure even crisping.
- To make cheese sauce, place milk, cream cheese, garlic and shredded cheese into a small sauce pan and set over medium heat. Stir constantly until all cheese is melted and combined. If sauce is too thick, you can thin in out using some additional milk, adding tablespoon by tablespoon as necessary to achieve desired consistency.
- Serve fries with cheese sauce drizzled over them or on the side for dipping.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 ½ cup fries, and 3 tbsp cheese sauce
Each serving = 5 Points
PER SERVING: 188 calories; 3g fat; 34.5g carbohydrates; 10.5g protein; 3.75g fiber