Ahhhhh…spaghetti squash. I was introduced to the awesomeness of this vegetable many years ago, and we’ve had many happy meals together since.
Today, I’m sharing my Spaghetti Squash and Sausage Bake Recipe, which features my favorite squash and utilizes it to create a creamy, cheesy and satisfying dish that is absolutely delicious. I added in some chicken sausage for extra flavor and added protein.
It takes a bit more time to make, simply because the squash needs to be roasted beforehand, but it’s well worth the effort. If you are really pressed for time, you can microwave the squash fully, instead of roasting it. I prefer the roasted flavor, but the microwave option works just fine.
Using the squash instead of pasta noodles saves a ton of Weight Watchers Points, and offers a lot of extra nutritional benefits as well. Plus, it just tastes delightful!
This Spaghetti Squash and Sausage Bake was rich, velvety, cheesy, and everything I had hoped for!
SPAGHETTI SQUASH AND SAUSAGE BAKE RECIPE
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 5 oz ground chicken sausage - (cooked)
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 4 garlic cloves - (minced)
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp light butter
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp ground sage
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 cup whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese - (shredded)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400. Lightly mist a 9” x 13” baking dish with cooking spray.
- With a sharp knife, pierce some holes all over the squash. Place it in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for about 7 minutes. This will soften the squash enough so that it can be cut in half. Let squash cool about 10 minutes before handling.
- Once squash has cooled, cut it in half lengthwise and scoop out all the seeds. Lightly mist both halves with an olive oil mister and sprinkle with salt. Place in a shallow baking dish with about 1/2 “ of water (cut sides up), and roast in the oven for about 30-40 minutes, or until squash is tender.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, scrape with a fork to remove flesh in long strands, and place strands in a large bowl.
- Add the cooked sausage into the squash.
- In a medium sized sauce pan, melt butter over medium high heat. Stir in the flour to form a roux. Then slowly whisk in the milk, broth and garlic. Bring to a boil, while whisking constantly. Then lower heat to medium, stir in the parmesan and sage, and continue stirring until sauce thickens.
- Pour sauce over squash and mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour squash into prepared baking dish, and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, then top with the Panko breadcrumbs and dried parsley.
- Place in oven and bake until heated through and cheese is melted and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes. Cut into 8 equally sized servings.