With the feast of ultimate deliciousness just a day a way, it’s time to start preparing for the week after, when you’ll be recuperating from all the food splurges and needing some healthy, low Points meal ideas.
Well this Ground Turkey Stuffed Acorn Squash is a perfect dinner that tastes as lovely as it looks, and is quite easy to prepare.
Seasoned with wonderful autumn flavors, you get juicy ground turkey with the added crunch of celery, tartness of the green apple, and sweet chewiness from the dried cranberries. All of that, stuffed into a tender roasted acorn squash.
Comforting and satisfying, this is a wonderful Weight Watchers Recipe to add to your post holiday, “getting back on track” meal plan. Enjoy!
GROUND TURKEY STUFFED ACORN SQUASH
- 1 1/2 lbs extra lean ground turkey
- 4 medium acorn squash (halved and seeded)
- 2 large sized granny smith apples (finely diced)
- 3 stalks celery (diced)
- 1 egg
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp dried sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Lightly mist acorn squash halves with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast in oven for about 15 minutes….just enough to heat the squash through, then remove from oven and set aside.
- While the squash is roasting, pray a large skillet with cooking spray or an olive oil mister and set over medium high heat. Add in turkey, and cook until no longer pink. Add in all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Lower oven temp to 375.
- Spoon turkey mixture evenly into all 8 acorn squash halves. Place squash into a large baking dish and fill the base with hot water to a depth of about 1/2 inch. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake uncovered for about another 20 minutes, or until the squash is very tender and begins to brown.