Well, here we are…my last recipe post of 2013. I CANNOT believe a whole year has flown by already! And I know that for many of us, the start of the new year means the start (or re-start) of a new healthy eating and weight loss plan. So, as we say goodbye to 2013, let me leave you with this delicious Coconut Lime Chicken Soup Recipe that is sure to warm you up on a cold winter’s day. Soup is a GREAT food to help fill you up without using a lot of Weight Watchers Points, and I always like to try and eat some before going to a big party/dinner/event where I will be tempted by lots of yummy, high fat foods. I love this Coconut Lime Chicken Soup because it is so incredibly flavorful and fresh while still tasting light and revitalizing. And each serving is just 3 Points! Have a nice sized bowl of this with your favorite salad for a light and healthy lunch, or serve it as an appetizer before dinner to help satiate your appetite. It’s absolutely delicious and very easy to prepare. The serrano peppers can make it a bit spicy, so if you’d prefer it less spicy, just use one or half of one. Enjoy!
And since I won’t be posting again until next year, I want to take a moment thank you all for an incredible 2013….I’m so glad that we all have each other to support and encourage through the struggle of weight loss, as it can seem an insurmountable task to accomplish alone. You have all been an incredible inspiration to me, and I am happy to be able to share my recipes with such a fabulous group of readers. I wish you all a safe and healthy New Year’s! Here’s to a wonderful new year…2014….LET’S DO THIS!!!!!
Happy New Year, everyone!!!
Coconut Lime Chicken Soup
Fresh, light, and perfect for a cold winter’s day, this spicy soup will be sure to heat you up. It’s unique flavors and easy preparation will make it a family favorite.
- 1 15 oz can light coconut milk
- 8 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 head of bok choy, chopped
- 3 small pieces (about 3-5 inches long) of lemongrass stalks
- 5 cups fat free chicken broth
- 2 serrano peppers, diced
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- Juice from 4 limes
- Spray a large pot or dutch oven with an olive oil mister, and place over medium high heat.
- Using the flat side of a knife, carefully smash the lemongrass stalks a bit to release some of the flavor. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and serrano peppers, and 1/4 cup of the chicken broth into the heated pot. Cook until onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and pour in remaining chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium, cover and let simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from soup and transfer a to plate, Using two forks, shred the chicken and then return it to the pot.
- Now stir in the lime juice, sugar, bok choy, fish sauce, coconut milk, and cilantro. Cook for another 4-5 minutes or until the bok choy is tender. Remove lemongrass stalks before serving.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Thai
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 1/2 cups
Each serving = 3 Points
PER SERVING: 125 calories; 4g fat; 9g carbohydrates; 12g protein; 1.5g fiber