I’ve had my share of Weight Watchers banana bread recipes, but this version is my favorite. The bread comes out so moist and delicious, and the applesauce and vanilla extract help to give it just the right amount of sweetness without having to use a lot of sugar. If you prefer to use a regular, all-purpose flour with this instead of whole wheat, you absolutely can. Or you can use a mixture of the two flours. But I like the added nutrition of the whole wheat. I also added a few tablespoons of organic raw flaxseed because I was serving this to my kids, but that does add an extra Point or two. So, I posted the recipe without the inclusion of the flaxseed. This low fat banana bread is wonderful with your morning coffee or tea, or for an after dinner sweet treat. And at just 4 Points for each thick slice, you’ll be thrilled at how filling and satisfying it is. Enjoy!
Low Fat Banana Bread
Moist, sweet, and soft, this fresh baked banana bread is a real treat. Lower in sugar and fat than most other versions, it’s a great treat for Weight Watchers at just 4 Points per serving.
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 large, overripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tbsp light butter, at room temp
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute (like EggBeaters)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with nonfat cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together, sugar, butter, egg substitute, vanilla extract, and applesauce. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the bananas.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- Slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, about 1/2 a cup at a time.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf pan, and bake in the oven for about 45-50 minutes, or until a toot picked inserted onto the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Let bread cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack. Cut into 8 equally sized slices.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 50 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 slice
Each serving = 4 Points
PER SERVING: 145 calories; 1.5g fat; 29g carbohydrates; 3g protein; 2g fiber