These Light Italian Meatballs are my go-to meatball recipe for whenever I am craving traditional Italian food.
The key here is the extra lean ground beef. This makes a dramatic difference in the Points value. Cutting down on all that fat in the ground beef, allows for the addition of grated Parmesan cheese mixed into the meat.
This makes for an unbelievably good Italian meatball. I used jarred marinara or spaghetti sauce when I’m pressed for time and to keep it super easy, but you could make your own from scratch if you prefer.
With much less fat and calories than traditional meatball recipes, this Italian Weight Watchers Recipe is a dream come true. I will often make large batches and freeze them to have on hand later for a quick Italian meatball sandwich for lunch – yum!
These Light Italian Meatballs are a HUGE hit with my family, and I highly recommend giving them a try.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (96% lean, 4% fat)
- 1 large egg
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 cup whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 jar fat free marinara sauce
- Combine all ingredients except the marinara sauce in a large bowl, and mix well with hands.
- Form meat into 30 1” meatballs.
- Spray a very large, non-stick skillet with an olive oil mister, and set over medium high heat. Once pan is heated well, add in meatballs, and brown on each side (about 3-4 minutes per side).
- Pour in jarred marinara, cover and turn heat to medium low. Let simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 5 meatballs with sauce
Each serving = 5 Points*
*based only on ingredients with an SP Freestyle value