These Light Italian Meatballs are my go-to meatball recipe for whenever I am craving traditional Italian food. They key here is the extra lean ground beef. This makes a dramatic difference in the Points value. Cutting down on all that fat in the ground beef, allows for the addition of grated Parmesan cheese mixed into the meat. This makes for an unbelievably good Italian meatball. I used jarred marinara or spaghetti sauce when I’m pressed for time and to keep it super easy, but you could make your own from scratch if you prefer. At just 5 Points for each 5 meatball serving, this Italian Weight Watchers Recipe is a dream come true. I will often make large batches and freeze them to have on hand later for a quick Italian meatball sandwich for lunch – yum! These Light Italian Meatballs are a HUGE hit with my family, and I highly recommend giving them a try.
Light Italian Meatballs Recipe
Moist, tender, juicy, and bursting with flavor, these Italian meatballs are the best I’ve ever had. Made with real ground beef, (not turkey or chicken!) they taste so good it’s hard to believe these are so Weight Watchers friendly.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (96% lean, 4% fat)
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 jar fat free marinara sauce (I used Trader Joe’s Organic Spaghetti Sauce with Mushrooms)
- Combine all ingredients except the marinara sauce in a large bowl, and mix well with hands.
- Form meat into 30 1” meatballs.
- Spray a very large, non-stick skillet with an olive oil mister, and set over medium high heat. Once pan is heated well, add in meatballs, and brown on each side (about 3-4 minutes per side).
- Pour in jarred marinara, cover and turn heat to medium low. Let simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 5 meatballs with sauce
Each serving = 5 Points
PER SERVING: 188 calories; 5g fat; 13.5g carbohydrates; 21.5g protein; 2g fiber