Here’s one of my favorite Weight Watchers Vegetarian Recipes for those days when I want a really filling and satisfying dish that is equally delicious. These Lentil Fritters are crisped on the outside, and soft and warm on the inside. They are served on a bed of fresh, sweet and tangy cabbage slaw and topped with a cool creamy, cucumber yogurt sauce. Packed with an incredible amount of fiber and protein, these lentil fritters come out to just 5 Points plus per serving! They are a bit time consuming to make, but you can cut some of the prep work out and used canned lentils, if you prefer. But it is well worth the effort – they are fantastic!
Crisp on the outside, soft and flavorful on the inside, these lentil fritters are wonderful Weight Watchers Vegetarian Recipe that makes for a very filling meal. The fresh cabbage slaw and cool cucumber yogurt sauce accompany the fritters perfectly!
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp cumin
- Juice from 1 lemons + 1 extra tbsp
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp oilve oil, plus 1 extra tsp
- 1 small red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 small Persian cucumber
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- Place lentils in a medium sized sauce pan, and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low, cover and cook until lentils are tender, about 30-35 minutes.
- Place half of the cooked lentils in a food processor. Add in cilantro, parsley, 2 garlic cloves, cumin, 1 tbsp lemon juice, and cardamom. Process until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the processed lentil mixture with the remaining lentils, the breadcrumbs, and season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Shape into 18 oval shaped patties. Place on glass dish, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Make cucumber sauce by mixing together the cucumber, yogurt, juice from 1 lemon, 1 clove garlic (minced) and season with salt and pepper as desired. Mix well, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Make cabbage salad by combining cabbage, honey, juice from 1 lime, 1 tsp olive oil, 1 garlic clove (minced) and salt and pepper. Toss well to combine.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large, nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Working in 2 batches, cook 9 of the patties until browned, about 3-4 minutes each side. Repeat with remaining tbsp of oil and remaining 9 patties.
- Divide cabbage salad equally onto 6 plates. Top with 3 lentil fritters and about 3 tbsp yogurt sauce.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Indian (Southern)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 3 fritters with cabbage salad and yogurt sauce
Each serving = 5 Points
PER SERVING: 224 calories; 5g fat; 31g carbohydrates; 13g protein; 10.5g fiber