Three Cheese Baked Mac and Cheese
Creamy, mild, and incredibly comforting, this is a healthy mac and cheese recipe that is simple yet satisfying. When made with the right ingredients, mac and cheese can be a delicious and guilt free meal to help satisfy those comfort food cravings.
- 8oz whole wheat macaroni noodles
- 1 1/2 cups fat free milk
- 1 cups fat free chicken broth (use milk instead if you want to keep this vegetarian)
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1 6oz bag fresh baby spinach leaves
- 4 tbsp fat free cream cheese
- 1/2 cup whole wheat panko breads crumbs
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cook macaroni noodles according to package directions.
- While noodles are cooking, make sauce by whisking together milk and flour in a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until sauce begins to thicken, about 5 minutes. Add in broth and cheeses, and continue to whisk until cheese are melted and sauce is creamy and thick, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drain noodles and return them to the pot. Add the fresh spinach leaves into the hot noodles, and toss until leaves begin to wilt. Pour in cheese sauce and stir well to combine.Transfer to a 13 x 9 baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix Panko with garlic powder, parsley, thyme, and salt & pepper. Sprinkle over top of mac and cheese.
- Place in oven and bake until hot and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 35 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 scant cup
Each serving = 6 Points
PER SERVING: 224 calories; 7g fat; 27g carbohydrates; 12g protein; 4g fiber