Irish Soda Bread Muffins
A St. Patrick’s Day treat that is deliciously filling, these moist buttermilk muffins are made with golden raisins and honey and are wonderful served with coffee or tea. Slightly sweet and buttery, it’s hard to believe these robust muffins are just 4 Points.
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced fat buttermilk
- 4 tbsp light butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- Preheat oven to 375. Mist a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and raisins.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, melted butter, egg, and honey.
- Gently combine the wet and dry ingredients, stirring just until combined as over-stirring will cause the muffins to have a tough texture).
- Spoon the stiff batter into the muffin pan, filling the cups about 3/4 cup full.
- Bake the muffins for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool in pan for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced Fat
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: Irish
Entire recipe makes 12 servings
Serving size is 1 muffin
Each serving = 7 Smart Points/4 Points
PER SERVING: 181calories; 6g fat; 2g saturated fat; 29g carbohydrate; 13g sugar; 4g protein; 2g fiber