Nothing like an easy, healthy casserole recipe to make a hectic weekday a bit easier! I recently came across the original version of this Chicken, Broccoli, Quinoa Casserole Recipe at Pinch of Yum, and I thought it was a fantastic twist on a traditional broccoli chicken and rice casserole, so I was excited to give it a try.
A few minor alterations and the casserole was extraordinary! It tastes amazing, was very filling, and satisfied the whole family. And with all of its amazing healthy ingredients, I don’t feel the need to make any extra side dishes. Yay for less cooking!
This is an amazing Weight Watchers casserole recipe that I will be making again and again.
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts (sliced into strips)
- 1 16 oz bag fresh broccoli florets
- 1 cup quinoa (uncooked and rinsed)
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously mist a 9 x 13 baking dish with nonfat cooking spray.
- Place a medium sized saucepan over medium high heat, and pour in 2 cups of the broth and 1/2 cup milk. Bring to a boil, then whisk in the flour, poultry seasoning and remaining 1/2 cup milk. Whisk well until the sauce is creamy and smooth. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Pour into a large bowl.
- To the large bowl of sauce, add remaining 1 cup broth and quinoa, and mix well.
- Place broccoli florets evenly into baking dish, pour quinoa and sauce mixture over the broccoli.
- Season chicken strips with salt and pepper and lay them evenly over top of the casserole.
- Cover with foil, and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and stir around a bit.
- Return to oven, uncovered this time, and bake for another 10-12 minutes or until chicken is golden brown, and quinoa grains are cooked and tender.
- Remove from oven and top with the mozzarella cheese. Bake for another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving some is about 1 heaping cup
Each serving = 6 Points*
*based only on ingredients with an SP Freestyle value