This incredibly satisfying and hearty Weight Watchers dinner recipe, is perfect to warm you up on a chilly fall evening. The tender and juicy ground beef is wonderfully seasoned, uniquely including a hint of cinnamon, and is served with whole wheat orzo and a delicious tomato sauce. Adding the feta crumbles on top also gives this dish a deliciously distinctive flair, adding a bit of salty savory-ness to the slightly sweet flavor of the sauce and beef. It cooks quickly and easily, and goes great when paired with a light salad and/or fresh roasted vegetables. 8 Points is a great bargain for this ground beef recipe, considering how filling it is! Enjoy.
Beef Orzo Recipe with Feta
A blend of wonderful flavors and a hint of cinnamon come together with tender, juicy ground beef and whole wheat orzo to create a lovely, and savory dish. The salty feta topping helps to create a unique flavor profile without being overwhelming.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (96/4)
- 10 oz whole wheat orzo
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 26oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare orzo according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While orzo is cooking, spray a large skillet with nonfat cooking spray, and set over medium high heat. Add in beef and cook until mostly cooked through.
- Add in onions, garlic, oregano, cinnamon and salt & pepper. Sauté until onions are tender and beef is cooked all the way through.
- Pour tomatoes into skillet with the beef mixture, and cook, and turn heat to medium. Continue to cook, while stirring occasionally, until mixture has thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Toss beef sauce with orzo and place into serving bowls. Top each bowl with 1 tbsp of feta.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: Middle Eastern
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 1/4 cups
Each serving = 9 Smart Points/8 Points
PER SERVING: 325 calories; 5.5g fat; 2g saturated fat; 44g carbohydrates; 5.5g sugar; 25g protein; 3.5g fiber
I have searched most all sites for lofat recipes and i must say this is the most excellent site. I have lost 50 lbs on wieght watchers and one of the main reasons –is your recipes. One can actually feel like you’re not being singled out as a dieter. Everyone in my family which includes ages 12 thru 60, loves most everything ive made from your recipes. Thank you so so much for your hard work!!!!!
I agree. I have made laaloosh recipes for a long time now, whether I’m dieting or not – because they are simply DELICIOUS, healthy and filling !! They are also written well – a lot of other blogs leave out facts or steps and things don’t always turn out perfect. But on this website they do! Thank you for your recipes!!!