Crock Pot Lemon Rosemary Whole Chicken Recipe
Succulent and juicy, this slow cooker chicken beats rotisserie chicken any day! The moist, tender, and wonderfully seasoned meat will absolutely melt in your mouth.
- 1 whole roasting chicken (about 6-8 lbs), cleaned and giblets removed
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp light butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Sprinkle the inside of the chicken cavity with salt and pepper. Then place half of the lemons slices, half of the onion wedges and 2 sprigs of the rosemary inside.
- Place chicken inside a small roasting pan. Spread butter evenly all over chicken, then season the chicken with the sage, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in the oven and broil for about 8-10 minutes, just until the skin turns golden brown. If you like your chicken really darkened on the outside, leave it in until the desired level of darkness is achieved. ** To crisp the skin, you can do this step AFTER the slow cooking, if preferred.
- Place remaining onions and a few of the remaining lemon slices in the bottom of the slow cooker. Now place the whole chicken on top. Top the chicken with remaining lemon slices, and rosemary leaves (removed from string).
- Cover with lid and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours or high for 4 – 5 hours.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 6 hour(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Each serving = AVERAGE of 8 Smart Points/5 Points (depending on which part of the chicken)
AVERAGE PER SERVING: 300 calories; 8g fat; 1.6g saturated fat; 0g carbohydrates; 9.5g sugar; 30g protein; 0g fiber