I love bacon so much, it really should just have it’s own category on my blog. As I’ve mentioned here before, Applegate Naturals Reduced Sodium Sunday Bacon is my latest favorite, and I love utilizing it in new Weight Watchers Recipes. Recently, it was the star of my Lentil Bacon Soup Recipe and it was fantastic! The healthy lentils are full of fiber, making this one very satisfying soup. And of course, the bacon does it’s job of bringing the flavor to a whole other level. The broth is boldly flavored with cumin and coriander, and the touch of lemon juice brings a nice level of acidity. All in all…it’s perfect, and I loved it. And each serving is just 4 Points! This hearty winter Weight Watchers soup recipe is a must try this season.
Lentil Bacon Soup
Wonderfully hearty, yet light, this delicious soup is perfect for the winter weather. The salty bacon and earthy lentils are served is a spiced broth that is absolutely divine.
- 8 oz green lentils, dried
- 8 oz bacon (I like Applegate Reduced Sodium Sunday Bacon)
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 4-6 cups fat free chicken broth
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley to garnish (optional)
- Cook bacon in a large, nonstick skillet. Remove bacon, and pat with paper towels to remove grease. Chop well, and set aside.
- Using the same pan that you used to cook the bacon (with the remaining bacon grease inside), sauté the celery, onion, and garlic, until the onions look mostly transparent.
- Transfer bacon, celery, and onion mixture to a large pot, over medium high heat. Add in lentils, broth, cumin, and corriander. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low, and cook until lentils are tender, adding in additional broth as needed.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired, and squirt in fresh lemon juice just before serving; garnish with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 6
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 1/3 cups
Each serving = 5 Smart Points/4 Points
PER SERVING: 189 calories; 4g fat; 2.3g saturated fat; 25.5g carbohydrates; 2.5g sugar; 13.5g protein; 7g fiber