Merry Christmas everyone! Hope you are all enjoying some down time with friends and family.
And if you are you looking for some more healthy recipes to get started with after the holiday feasting is over, then today’s recipe is a great start! Weight Watchers Casserole Recipes are one my favorite meals to cook this time of year…they are warm and filling, and a breeze to make.
This Chicken and Spinach Casserole has often been one of my old reliable casseroles that I go to whenever I’m too tired to try something new. It’s also a great way to use up leftover rotisserie chicken.
Overall, this is a simple Weight Watchers casserole that takes minimal effort and delivers a wonderfully hot and delicious meal for just just a handful of Points. Enjoy!
- 12 oz chicken breast (cooked and shredded)
- 4 slices light whole wheat bread (diced)
- 6 oz bag of fresh baby spinach leaves (washed)
- 3 medium shallots (finely diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups reduced fat milk
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place diced bread in a large bowl. Toss with olive oil and season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Spray a large, nonstick skillet with nonfat cooking spray or an olive oil mister, and set over medium high heat. Add in shallots and garlic, and sauté until onions begin to become translucent; about 2 minutes. Stir in wine, and cook until mostly evaporated; about 5 minutes.
- Add in the flour, and stir until it’s mixed in well. Slowly stir in the milk, and bring mixture to a low boil. Add in the parmesan and cook, while stirring, until melted; about 1-2 minutes.
- Toss in spinach leaves, and cook until just wilted, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add in the chicken; season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Pour the chicken mixture into prepared baking dish, and top with the bread. Place in oven and bake until bread is golden brown and chicken/spinach mixture is bubbling.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 1/4 cups
Each serving = 6 Points*
*based only on ingredients that have an SP Freestyle value