Fall is officially in full swing, and like everyone else, I’m on a pumpkin craze. There are SO many amazing pumpkin flavored goodies and treats available right now, it’s insane! In addition to trying out some tasty looking products I find at the store, I’ve also been in the kitchen whipping up some homemade, healthy pumpkin recipes too. Though it’s been over 100 degrees here this week (boo for California in the fall!), I’ve been working on a Pumpkin Cornbread Recipe that I hope you love as much as I do! Moist, delicious, slightly sweet cornbread that bakes up light and tender boasting a traditional corn flavor, but with a hint of pumpkin and spice. Goes AMAZINGLY well with chili or soup, and if you want to spend the extra points, is best when topped with hot butter. So get on the pumpkin craze bandwagon and give my Pumpkin Cornbread recipe a try this fall. Each serving is just 4 Points!
Moist, tender, light cornbread with a touch of pumpkin and fall spices. It’s a great way to add a seasonal twist to a traditional dish.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup canned pumpmin puree
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a square (7” x 7”) baking dish with nonfat cooking spray.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and spices in a bowl.
- In another bowl, combine the oil, honey, egg, pumpkin puree, and milk. Mix well.
- Combine the wet and the dry mixtures together and mix well.
- Spoon only into the baking dish, and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool, then remove from pan, cut into 12 squares, and serve.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 12
Culinary tradition: USA (Southern)
Entire recipe makes 10 servings
Serving size is about 3/4 cup
Each serving = 7 Points
PER SERVING: 248 calories; 5g fat; .9g saturated fat; 42g carbohydrates; .4g sugar; 7g protein; 2g fiber