Don’t be afraid of the eggplant! This tasty eggplant parmesan is just like lasagna – but it’s perfect for Meatless Mondays! You won’t believe that there’s eggplant in it – it’s fabulous and everyone will love it.
- 2 eggplants, peeled and sliced
- Garlic powder, to taste
- Onion powder, to taste
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 3 oz mozzarella, shredded
- 6 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season the eggplant with garlic, onion, salt and pepper.
- In a shallow bowl, beat together the eggs and water.
- Put the breadcrumbs into a second shallow bowl.
- Dip the slices of eggplant in the egg and then dredge each slice in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil over medium high heat in a heavy skillet.
- Fry the eggplant on each side until golden brown.
- Place a layer of eggplant in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Top with a layer of tomato sauce, then the two cheeses.
- Repeat the layers until all the eggplant, sauce and cheese is used.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, or until bubbly.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 6 Points
PER SERVING: 222 calories; 10g fat; 24g carbohydrates; 10g protein; 4g fiber