In an effort to eat less meat (the reason why is a whole looking other blog post for another time), I’ve been experimenting with more vegan and vegetarian Weight Watchers Recipes. A friend of mine cooked this for me one day, and it was so good, I knew I had to recreate it at home! The mild, soft polenta is topped with a tangy puttanesca sauce that’s to die for. Now, because you all know I love shortcuts, I used a prepared log of Trader Joe’s Organic Polenta. If you want to make your own from scratch, you absolutely could. I just often have my hands full while cooking dinner, so I try to save time wherever I can. But even with the pre-made polenta, this traditional Italian recipe is divine! You get a hint of the salty brine from the olives and capers, and the sweet and tangy tomato sauce balances it all out. It’s loaded with protein and fiber and is incredibly satisfying. A real bargain for just 6 Smart Points too! Enjoy.
Chickpea Puttanesca Over Polenta Recipe
- 1 18oz log prepared polenta - sliced into 12 (I used Trader Joe's Organic Polenta)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion - finely chopped
- 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 14 oz can garbanzo beans - drained and rinsed
- 3-4 cloves of garlic - minced
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives - quartered
- 2 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Mist with cooking spray, and then spread out the polenta slices evenly on the sheet. Mist lightly with the cooking spray and place in oven to cook until golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, olives, and capers and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes. Simmer until the sauce is thickened and slightly reduced, about 20 minutes.
- Add garbanzo beans, and adjust seasoning to taste.
- Divide polenta between 4 plates and top with puttanesca sauce. Garnish with basil if desired.