In college, Chinese takeout used to be a staple of mine. But now that I eat lighter and smarter, creating healthier versions of my favorite Chinese fast foods became a top priority.
Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry was a meal I used to eat a lot, because I assumed it was one of the “healthier” choices, having chicken and broccoli in it.
Little did I know. But now I can make my own light and healthy Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry for a lot fewer Points and with minimal effort. This stir fry tastes authentically delicious….even my kids gobbled it up! And at just 6 Smart Points per serving, I’m able to enjoy one of my favorite Chinese foods without ruining my day.
Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 lb chicken breasts - skinless, boneless
- 1 lb broccoli florets
- 1 onion - small, diced
- 8 oz mushrooms - sliced
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 tsp ginger - fresh, grated
- 2 tsp sesame oil - toasted
- 1 tbsp coconut oil - divided
- Cut chicken breast into bite sized pieces, and pat dry with paper towels. In a large bowl, toss chicken with 1/4 cup flour until all pieces are evenly coated.
- To make sauce, whisk together chicken broth, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and 1 tbsp flour.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, and then add in 1/2 tbsp coconut oil. Once oil is hot, add in chicken pieces, and make sure to spread out evenly in pan. Let chicken cook for a minute, then stir fry for about 5 minutes, or until chicken is browned. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add remaining coconut oil to pan. Once oil is hot, add in onions, broccoli, and mushrooms. Stir fry for about 3-4 minutes, or until mushrooms are softened and broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Turn heat to medium, and add the sauce into the vegetables. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for about 2-3 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Stir in chicken, and then cook for another minute to heat. Serve over rice or noodles, if desired. And garnish with sliced green onions (optional).
The serving size is about 1 1/2 cups