Sometimes, I just want a big, heaping plate of spaghetti with a rich, flavorful meat sauce. But the Smart Points in a typical bolognese could end up adding up to a whole day’s worth of Points! So in order to satisfy my craving without ruing my diet, I created this simple, no-frills Spaghetti Squash and Turkey Bolognese Recipe. I just sub out the carb heavy spaghetti noodles for the light, nutritious, and 0 Smart Points oven-roasted spaghetti squash.
Topped with a decadent, lightened up turkey bolognese sauce, this recipe is one seriously satisfying meal! When I have a few extra Points to spare, I’ll also add some grated Parmesan on top – soooooo good! Serve with your favorite salad or roasted veggies, and even a slice of garlic bread, for a meal that is sure to fill you up.
Spaghetti Squash and Turkey Bolognese Recipe
- 1 spaghetti squash - large squash
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 1 carrot - peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 25 oz marina sauce - 1 jar. I like Trader Joe's Organic Tomato Basil Marinara
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the spaghetti squash length wise, and spoon out all the innards and seeds. Lightly mist with olive oil or cooking spray, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place both halves cut side down on a baking sheet, and roast for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the flesh is very tender when poked with a fork. Allow squash to cool.
- While squash is roasting, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the turkey, and sauté until meat is no longer pink. Add the carrot and sauté until tender, about another 5 minutes.
- Add the marinara sauce. Decrease the heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 15 minutes to allow the flavors to blend, stirring often. Season as desired with additional salt and pepper.
- Using a fork, scrape out the strands from the inside of the spaghetti squash, and divide evenly into 4 servings. Top with bolognese sauce and serve immediately.
The serving size is about 1 cup squash and 3/4 cup sauce
Mmmm…I made this (with mushrooms and yellow squash, as I didn’t have any carrots), and a serving was delicious and filling! Thanks!