On those nights when you want a complete meal in one pot, this One Pot Moroccan Chicken Rice and Potatoes Recipe is a breeze, and it delivers a delicious and filling meal with minimal effort. By cooking all the food together in one pot, the chicken juices really help to add amazing flavor and tenderness to the rice and potatoes. And the Moroccan spices make it all just taste soooooo good together!
This recipe was taught to me by my amazing Moroccan friend who makes this meal at least once a week. The first time I had it served to me at her house, I assumed this was a dish she slaved over all day. But to my surprise, it’s a pretty easy hands off meal that comes together perfectly! And who doesn’t love having just 1 pot to clean up afterward?
One Pot Moroccan Chicken Rice and Potatoes
- 3 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 1 lb Yukon gold potatoes chopped into chunks
- 1 cup short grain brown rice rinsed
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp tumeric
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine all spices in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large, oven safe pot, over medium high heat. Add in onions and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add in rice and 1/2 of spice mixture. Stir well. Pour in 1 cup of the chicken broth.
- In a large bowl, toss the chicken with remaining spice mixture until all chicken is evenly coated.
- Add chicken to pot. Add in the potatoes too. And then add in remaining cup of broth, or more if needed to make sure that all the rice and chicken are covered by liquid. Bring to a boil.
- As soon as the pot begins to boil, cover and transfer to oven and cook at 400 for 30 minutes. Then, lower heat to 350, and cook for about another 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Squeeze lemon juice over the pot before serving.
Serving size is about 2 drumsticks and 1/2 cup rice and potatoes
Each serving = 9 Smart Points PER SERVING: 369 calories; 7g fat; 2g saturated fat; 14g carbohydrates; 1g fiber; 0g sugar; 23g protein *The nutritional info was calculated WITHOUT the skin from the chicken. The chicken was cooked with the skin, but removed before eating.