We are still in the midst of summer, but savory fall foods are already filling up my brain, and I’ve already started working on some new seasonal recipes! A recent one that I whipped up is this Spinach, Artichoke, and White Bean Soup. I’m a HUGE fan of artichokes, and this soup definitely delivers their amazing flavor. Every spoonful is bursting with their unique flavor, but softened a bit by the creamy, mild beans and velvety broth. It’s a pretty quick and easy recipe to make, which is great when you don’t have much time or energy on your hands. But it’s hearty enough to be satisfying, and can easily be served as a main dish or a side. Loaded with protein, fiber and iron, this Spinach, Artichoke, and White Bean Soup is as nurturing as it is delicious. Enjoy!
Spinach, Artichoke, and White Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 14 oz can artichoke hearts in water - drained, rinsed, and chopped
- 2 14 oz cans white or cannelini beans - drained and rinsed
- 4 cups baby spinach - fresh
- 1 large yellow onion - finely diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic - minced
- ½ tbsp Italian seasoning
- 3 cups fat free chicken broth
- ½ cup reduced fat cream cheese - room temperature
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium low heat. Add in the artichokes, onion, and garlic. Cook for about 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, beans, Italian seasoning, and spinach. Bring to a mild simmer, and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the cream cheese, lemon zest, and parsley. Let simmer for another 5 minutes, or until cream cheese is fully melted into soup and soup is heated to desired temperature. Season with salt and pepper.
The serving size is about 1 1/2 cups