I always enjoy spicing up the same old dishes. It’s fun to take something that we have on a regular basis and make it in a new and different way. My two favorite ways of making pork chops is to grill them or bake them and then smother them in either apples and onions or with homemade applesauce.
However, it’s kind of fun to do something different and I really enjoy one dish meals, where I can just toss everything in together and then just put together something quick and easy for the side dish – like a side salad or some steamed broccoli.
For us, it’s the perfect Sunday dinner, ready for us when we walk back in the door after church. The pork chops turned out succulent and juicy. Full of flavor but and moist! One of the tricks of this, I’ve found, is to sear the meat first in a fry pan and it helps to seal in the juices. In my experience, bone in pork chops also helps with this.
Then just mix together the apples, potatoes & spices and bake it all. Once it’s done, add your favorite vegetables (or whatever you happen to have on hand) and you’ve got a delicious meal ready to go.
Smothered Pork Chops
- 4 pork chops bone-in (about 5 oz each)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil divided
- 1/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 lb Yukon gold potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp rubbed sage
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of the oil in a large skillet.
- Cook the pork chops for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until nicely browned.
- Place the pork chops in a baking dish.
- Pour the broth over the pork chops.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan once the pork chops have been removed.
- Sauté the potatoes, onions and garlic in the oil for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, onion, garlic, sage, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Place the potato mixture on top of the pork chops.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the pork is cooked to desired doneness.
Entire recipe makes 4 serving
Serving size is about 1 pork chop with about 1/2 cup vegetables
Each serving = 6 Smart Points
PER SERVING: 261calories; 10.3g fat; 2.2g saturated fat; 18.9g carbohydrate; 1.3g sugar; 23.1g protein; 2g fiber