Baby, it’s cold outside! Warm up with this tasty Winter Lentil Vegetable Soup Recipe that’s packed with fiber to help you feel full, and Vitamin C to help ward off those seasonal viruses.
The flavors of this vegan soup recipe are bright and fresh and are the perfect anecdote to the winter blues. And with all that damage you’ll end up doing with holiday goodies, this is a dish you can really feel good about, as each hearty serving.
Freeze leftovers in pre-portioned containers for a quick lunch or snack to have on hand when you are feeling hangry! :) Enjoy.
Winter Lentil Vegetable Soup Recipe
- ½ cup lentils - red or green
- 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 large yellow onion - finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash - peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3 cups fat free vegetable broth
- 2 stalks celery - diced
- 3 carrots - diced
- 2 cloves of garlic - minced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add in garlic, onions, carrots and squash, and sauce until veggies begin to soften, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in remaining ingredients (except the lemon juice), and bring to a simmer. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Turn heat to low, cover and let cook about 1-2 hours or until lentils are tender.
- Squeeze in lemon juice just before serving.
The serving size is about 1 1/2 cups