With 2016 almost at an end, it’s time to get back on track and detox from all the holiday goodies. Gyros have always been one of my favorite guilty indulgences, and today I’m sharing my favorite healthy makeover of a traditional Greek gyro. First of all, I subbed out the fatty, high cholesterol lamb meat with tender chicken breast marinated in an amazing blend of Greek spices, lemon juice and yogurt which helps to tenderize the breasts while giving them fantastic flavor. Also, by making my homemade tzatziki sauce, I was able to lower the calories while also bringing in some more incredible tastes. Trust me when I tell you that after making your own tzatziki sauce, you will never want to buy the pre-made store bought kind again. Finally, everything is served on top of a whole wheat pita, and topped with fresh red onion and tomato slices. It is so good. SO GOOD! And at just 7 Smart Points each, these healthy chicken gyros make a great Weight Watchers lunch idea.
- 6 whole wheat pita bread warmed
- 1 lb chicken breast skinless, boneless
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp non fat Greek yogurt plain
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt plain
- 1 small cucumber
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the chicken marinade, then add in the chicken breasts, and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Using a food processor, shred the cucumber. Then wrap the processed cucumber in a towel or cheesecloth and squeeze out as much water as possible.
- In a small bowl mix together the cucumber with the remaining ingredients for the tzatziki sauce. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a large baking dish with nonfat cooking spray. Place the chicken in the baking dish and cover with foil. Roast in oven for about 30-35 minutes. Remove foil and return to oven, roasting until chicken is fully cooked through and begins to brown. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Slice chicken into thin strips and divide evenly on top of each pita. Top each with 2 tbsp tzatziki sauce, onions, and tomato slices.
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 gyro
Each serving = 7 Smart Points
PER SERVING: 320 calories; 8g fat; 2g saturated fat; 35g carbohydrates; 5g fiber; 1g sugar; 30g protein