With the cold, rainy weather we’ve been having in here in SoCal lately, I have been a soup making machine! My kids LOVE soup, and it’s very helpful for me, because it fills me up, is easy to make, and is great to freeze for when I need a quick snack or meal.
A recent soup I just made to go with my daughter’s favorite lunch (grilled cheese sandwiches) was this Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato soup. Oh Em Gee….this was SO delicious! The soup was made entirely from scratch, with all whole food ingredients. It was light, brightly flavored, and wonderfully fresh.
I’ve made homemade tomato soup from scratch before, but the real trick here is the roasting of the vegetables. It adds such a slightly smoky flavor and really helps to bring out the flavor of the vegetable. And the best part? It’s just 1 Point per serving! You’ve gotta give this one a try ASAP.
- 10 plum tomatoes
- 3 red bell peppers
- 1 small onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 small handful of basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400, and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Cut each tomato into about 4 slices, and cut each pepper into eighths (removing the seeds and insides). Place tomatoes, peppers, and garlic cloves onto prepared baking sheet and mist with an olive oil mister. Sprinkle the paprika, oregano, thyme, and salt and pepper evenly on top. Place in oven and roast for 30-35 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add in diced onions, and sauté until they begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to low, and add in the roasted vegetables and garlic cloves, tomato paste, able cider vinegar, fresh basil, and 2 cups of water. Using an immersion blender, blend well until pureed smooth. Add additional water as needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and let sit on low heat, stirring regularly for about 20-30 minutes.
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is 1 1/2 cups
Each serving = 1 Smart Point
PER SERVING: 35 calories; 2.5g fat; 0g saturated fat; 2g carbohydrates; 0g fiber; 1.5g sugar; 0.5g protein