If you’ve ever been to a good Italian restaurant and ordered Chicken Piccata, then you know how absolutely delicious this dish can be. Simple, yet tremendously flavorful. There’s an amazing Italian restaurant not too far from me that I paid a recent visit too (I was craving their breadsticks, but that’s a different story).
I decided to try their chicken piccata because of the sauce description on the menu. It was a bit different from most chicken piccata I’ve had before, and the description had me salivating. Rather than a traditional lemon/wine sauce, they used a creamy Parmesan sauce instead. And for anyone who knows me well, cheese is my weakness.
I CANNOT RESIST IT. So I decided to use my “flex” Points and splurge, and it was well worth it! And then I made up my mind to recreate a healthier and lighter version at home so that I could some more regular, guilt free indulging. The creamy, lemony sauce is like a river of velvet in your mouth, and the tender, juicy chicken breasts are the perfect vehicle for that heavenly sauce!
I ate this right off the plate, but my kids enjoyed theirs over pasta. Next time, I’ll try serving it over some zoodles. This Creamy Lemon Chicken Piccata is the ultimate in gourmet comfort food!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup reduced fat milk
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese fresh grated
- 2 tbsp capers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Slice chicken breasts into 4 thin filets. Mix flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl, and dredge each chicken filet in the four, making sure to evenly coat both sides. Shake off excess, and set aside.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Cook the chicken until golden brown and cooked through, about 2-4 minutes per side, depending how thick the chicken is. Remove chicken from pan, and set aside.
- To make the sauce, add the garlic into the skillet, and cook for about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low-medium, add the broth and milk. Bring the sauce to a boil; season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in parmesan cheese and capers and let simmer for about 2 minutes until it gets a little thicker. Then mix the cornstarch with 1 tbsp of water, and whisk it into the sauce.
- Now stir in the lemon juice, then return the chicken to the pan. Let warm a minute, then serve.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 piece of chicken with sauce
Each serving = 6 Smart Points
PER SERVING: 287 calories; 12g fat; 4g saturated fat; 9g carbohydrates; 1g sugar; 0g fiber; 40g protein