Turning traditional, fussy dishes into a simpler casserole version has been one of my favorite cooking pastimes recently. We are all big stuffed pepper fans over here, so I thought I’d make an attempt to turn it into a casserole instead, which turned out to be a fantastic idea!
You get all the wonderful flavors of the customary stuffed peppers, but with less effort and an easier to eat form. Plus, this Weight Watchers dinner recipe was easy to freeze and store in individual serving containers, so that I could have a healthy meal easily available when needed.
It was delicious, satisfying, and just 4 Points per serving. We’ll definitely be adding this dish into regular rotation around here!
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 14-15oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 8oz can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups fat free beef or chicken broth
- 1 cup basmati rice (uncooked)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add in onions and garlic, and sauté until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in ground chicken, and cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes. Add in bell peppers and salt & pepper, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, Worcestershire sauce, honey, vinegar, thyme, and paprika. Stir well, and heat until boiling.
- Add uncooked rice. Return to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer about 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Season with additional salt and pepper as desired.
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 4 Points*
*based only on ingredients with an SP Freestyle value