Another amazing Zoodles recipe today! I bought a ton of zucchini recently, and have been experimenting with “noodles” in place of regular, high calorie pasta noodles. And I just cannot contain my excitement in sharing these recipes!!
The other night, my kids wanted spaghetti and meatballs, so I made regular, whole wheat pasta for them, but decided to do zoodles for my husband and me.
You guys…it was SO good. I was a bit skeptical about this, but the key was having really flavorful sauce and meatballs, and you don’t even notice the zucchini. It’s a lot easier than using roasted spaghetti squash and I liked the flavor better too. Seriously delicious.
If you have yet to get yourself a zucchini spiralizer (THIS one is my favorite), I highly recommend that you do so asap, and start getting on board the zoodle train. You will be SO glad you did.
- 4 medium zucchini (spiraled)
- 1 25oz jar marinara sauce (I used Trader Joe's Organic Tomato Basil Marinara)
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tbsp whole wheat Panko
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients except for the zucchini and pasta sauce. Shape the ground meat mixture into 24 meatballs (about 1” each) and place on baking sheet. Bake in oven for about 15-18 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through and browned on the outside.
- In a large sauce pan, combine marinara sauce with the cooked meatballs, and simmer own low until sauce is heated through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wrap noodles completely with paper towels, and place in a large, microwave safe dish. Heat in microwave for about 2 minutes. The paper towels will help to absorb the extra water that the zucchini releases.
- Divide noodles into 4 different serving bowls. Top each with with meatballs and pasta sauce. Sprinkle with a bit of extra grated parmesan cheese, if desired.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 6 meatballs with sauce and zoodles
Each serving = 4 Points*
*based only on ingredients with an SP Freestyle value