Recently, I been trying to find very simple meals and meals that I can easily make in the crockpot. I came across a roasted red pepper chicken that is originally a skillet meal, but I thought that I could make it in the crockpot just as easily. It turns out that I was right. This is one of those delicious meals that is just so simple.
I love the flavor of red peppers to begin with, especially when they are roasted. I like to keep a couple of jars on hand to add to my tomato soup, so it was easy to just grab a jar out of the pantry for this recipe too. I always choose the red peppers that are canned in water, so I don’t get all the extra oil.
When you make this in a skillet, everything is chopped and ready to go by the time the chicken is cooked. Then you just have to simmer the sauce. If you like you sauce with a little more kick, just add a little more crushed red pepper.
The first time I made this, I added plenty. The next time I was a little less generous and it was much better. It had just a hint of spice, but was creamy and delicious. One of my favorite parts about this meal is that I can use leftover chicken and just make the sauce in a skillet, or I can toss everything in the crockpot and turn it on at lunch.
At supper we’ve got a delicious meal that’s ready to go. I like to serve it with whole grain pasta, but it would be perfect with some spiral sliced zucchini noodles to add more veggies and color to your meal, or my favorite Miracle Noodles. The sauce is rich and creamy, but with the fat free cream cheese, it’s really not too many points. This one is definitely a keeper in our house.
Need another easy chicken recipe? Try these!
Roasted Red Pepper Chicken
- 1 lbs chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp light butter
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 15 oz jar roasted red peppers (canned in water, drained and chopped)
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 4 oz fat free cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup basil leaves (chopped)
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sear the chicken for 5 minutes (on each side) in the skillet, then remove and keep warm.
- Add the garlic and onions to the skillet and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the peppers and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, cream cheese and crushed red peppers.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the cream cheese is melted and the sauce is thickened.
- Stir in the basil.
- Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice the chicken and serve topped with the red pepper sauce.