If you’ve never had (or even heard of) Balela Salad before, let me fill you in. Balela is a Middle-Eastern garbanzo and black bean salad tossed with a tangy, herbed vinaigrette. I typically make this delicious salad anytime I’m cooking for vegans or vegetarians.
The beans offer a nice dose of protein and are wonderfully filling. It’s such a versatile recipe too — you can serve it as a side salad, as a relish for meat or fish, or as a dip for crackers, bread, or pita chips. I’ve also used this in a sandwich or wrap. I’m telling you…a ton of things can be done with this recipe!
We’ve been watching a lot of hockey lately (playoffs and now the Stanley Cup championship), and this is the perfect game day snack. Even meat eaters will love it! This Vegan Balela Salad recipe is a must try. Enjoy!
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 medium white onion (finely diced)
- 1 large tomato (finely diced)
- 1/4 cup parsley (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients together.
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1/2 cup
Each serving = 1 Point*
*based only ingredients with an SP Freestyle value