It’s in the 90’s this week, here in Orange County, CA, and yet, I’m making a creamy, comforting Chicken and Broccoli Noodle Casserole. That’s weird, right? It’s too hot! But when I have a craving, not even a heat wave will stop me.
And what I’ve been craving, is a rich, decadent, filling casserole that combines meat, veggies, and carbs all in one dish. Because sometimes, I just don’t feel like preparing side dishes.
This week, I made a Weight Watchers casserole recipe that was absolutely heavenly. It has all the flavors and textures I wanted, and came out to just 6 Points per serving. If broccoli isn’t your thing, zucchini, mushrooms, or carrots and peas would all work really well too.
I’ve also made this with chicken thighs instead of breasts, which was even better. So if you can spare the extra Smart Point, try it with chicken thighs. And one word of advice – don’t skip the bacon/almond meal crumble on top…it’s what really makes this dish!
- 6 oz No Yolk Noodles (egg free egg noodles)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast (cooked and shredded)
- 12 oz fresh broccoli florets (chopped)
- 1 large shallot (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1/2 cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 2 tbsp almond meal
- 4 slices lean turkey bacon (cooked and finely chopped)
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook noodles in water until al dente (mildly undercooked). Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in the broccoli and garlic. Season with a bit of salt and pepper, and sauté until broccoli is slightly tender, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to bowl with noodles.
- Preheat oven to 400 and mist a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium high heat. Stir in shallot, and cook until tender, about 1-2 minutes. Turn heat down to medium low, and whisk in flour. Cook for another 1-2 minutes. Now turn heat up to medium and slowly whisk in the chicken broth until well combined. Then stir in the milk, and bring to a boil. Let simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened - about 7-8 minutes. Remove pan from heat and stir in the cheese. Mix thoroughly, allowing the cheese to melt.
- Add chicken and sauce to the large bowl with the noodles and broccoli. Pour entire mixture into prepared casserole dish. In a small bowl, mix together the almond meal and bacon bits, then sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Place in oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
Entire recipe makes 6 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 6 Points*
*based only on ingredients that have an SP Freestyle value