Tender, garlic buttered portobello mushrooms, stuffed with fresh tomatoes and basil, topped with melty mozzarella cheese, and the drizzled with a sweet and tangy balsamic glaze!?! Stick a fork in me, I’m done. Sometimes the most decadent low carb recipes come in the simplest form, and this Caprese Stuffed Portobellos recipe is nothing short of easy, yet indulgently fabulous.
Portobello mushrooms are perfect for stuffing with just about anything because their flavor is mild, and the focus tends to be on whatever you put inside. Plus they are low carb, low calorie, fat free, and packed with nutrition.
These mushrooms are actually satisfying enough to make a great vegetarian main course, but they are also easily served as a side or appetizer. Either way, they are absolutely heavenly, and a dish I can definitely get on board with having on a very regular basis.
If you want to shave off a Point, you don’t have to use the garlic butter. Or you could serve it without the balsamic glaze (this is how my daughter chose to eat hers, and is pictured above). But, let me just say that the flavor combination they provide is divine! And totally worth the extra Points. Just consider it a minor splurge.
I tried this recipe with a both a shredded, reduced fat mozzarella and a fresh, whole milk mozzarella. They both work well, but the fresh mozzarella just had a more luxurious, creamy taste to it, so that’s what I prefer. You can also use any kind of tomatoes you have on hand.
If you love caprese, ditch the bread that it is traditionally served on, and try this Caprese Stuffed Portobellos recipe instead! Also, make sure to check out my Caprese Pasta Salad Recipe and my Caprese Chicken Bake Recipe!!
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps (stems removed, washed and dried)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 tomatoes (diced)
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese (sliced)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup balsamic glaze
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a small bowl, and combine with garlic. Brush all over the mushroom caps, inside and outside.
- In a small bowl, toss together the tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper. Spoon evenly into each mushroom cap.
- Slice mozzarella into 4 slices, and place 1 slice on top of each mushroom.
- Place in oven, and cook until cheese is melted, bubbling and golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Drizzle each stuffed mushroom with balsamic glaze and garnish with fresh chopped basil or parsley.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 1 stuffed mushroom cap
Each serving = 5 Points*
*based only on ingredients that have an SP Freestyle value