There is a possibility that I might be teetering on the edge of obsession when it comes to my Instant Pot. What is not to love about the idea of food being cooked faster, easier and healthier?! That’s why I’ve been churning out Weight Watchers Instant Pot Recipes like a madwoman.
But the Instant Pot is pretty amazing and life changing, you guys. While I still love using a slow cooker, I am often one of those people who wait until the last minute to make dinner. The IP has really made my life a LOT easier for this exact reason.
Today I’m sharing what has become one of my all time favorites – my Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe. I remade this comfort food classic into a healthier, Instant Pot version, so it cooks up quickly and easily, and is full of incredible flavors.
I used chicken thighs in this dish, because I prefer the flavor of the dark meat here. Also, the extra fat and juices from the meat impart a decadent flavor to the rice that makes it totally worth those extra couple of Points.
If you’d prefer to save those Points, and make this with chicken breasts instead, you absolutely can. Each serving would end up being just 4 Points instead of 6. But one word of caution here…once you make it with the thighs, there’s no going back to breasts. Trust.
Another thing that’s great about this recipe is that it’s ALL done in one pot. One pot means less cleanup, and let’s face it, who doesn’t love having less dishes to scrub? It’s a complete meal….the whole gang is there…moist chicken, fresh veggies, whole grain brown rice. No need to make extra side dishes, so it’s ideal when you’ve got a busy day and little time to prepare dinner.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT CHICKEN AND RICE
I started by browning both sides of my chicken thighs on the saute setting. This gives the meat a nice flavor, and helps to lock in the juices. Then I transferred the chicken to another bowl, while I de-glazed the pan and sauteed the veggies.
Then I rinsed the rice (don’t skip this step or your rice won’t come out as fluffy), added it into the pot, and topped it all with the chicken.
The chicken cooked to perfection! It was so tender, I didn’t even need to shred it with two forks. It just mostly fell apart while I was scooping it out to serve.
This Instant Pot Chicken and Rice has become my go to meal on the days my daughter has soccer practice. I have just enough time from when we get home from school to cook this meal entirely before we leave for practice. Then I just let it sit on warm while we are at practice. We get back around 6:30pm, and dinner is ready and waiting for us!
If you have an Instant Pot, I hope you’ll give this Chicken and Rice recipe a try, leave me a comment and let me know what you think. And if you don’t have an Instant Pot, what are you waiting for? You should definitely give it some consideration. Especially around Black Friday, because there are typically some good deals then. You’ll be so glad you did!
CAN’T GET ENOUGH INSTANT POT RECIPES? CHECK THESE OUT!
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe - 6 Points
- 1 ½ lbs chicken thighs (skinless, boneless)
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked and rinsed)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ¼ cup fat free chicken broth
- 1 large onion (finely chopped)
- 2 large carrots (diced)
- 8 oz mushrooms (sliced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn Instant Pot to “Saute”. When hot, add olive oil.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, then in the chicken, and brown about 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Deglaze the pot by pouring in ¼ cup of the chicken broth, and making sure to scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add in all the chopped vegetables, and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining broth, thyme, lemon juice and rice. Add additional salt and pepper as desired. Top with the chicken.
- Turn off the “Saute” function. Lock on lid, select the “Manual” function and set to high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Allow to naturally release for 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure. Transfer chicken to plates and serve!