Bombarded with more Swiss chard in my Farm Fresh to You delivery package, I’ve been experimenting with some tasty and unique ways to prepare it. This Swiss Chard Recipe with Garbanzo Beans turned out amazing! My husband and I gobbled it up. The garbanzo beans add a lot of fiber and protein, so even though this is a technically a side dish recipe, it’s really filling at 4 Points per serving. This weekend, I actually doubled the serving size and ate it as a whole meal, instead of a measly frozen Weight Watchers meal I had set aside in the freezer. Much better. :) It’s a very easy Swiss Chard recipe that works well with a variety of main entrees too, and it truly is delicious. The different flavors and textures work so well together, and I love all the nutrients! So if you are looking for a unique and delicious way to prepare your Swiss chard, give this dish a try.
Swiss Chard Recipe with Garbanzo Beans
What a deliciously unique way to prepare Swiss chard! This healthy side dish recipe is loaded with flavor and nutrients for just 4 Points per serving.
- 1 bunch red Swiss chard, rinsed and chopped
- 1 cup leeks, chopped
- 1 16 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 26oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fat free chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice from ½ a lemon, freshly squeezed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spray a large skillet with non-fat cooking spray and set over medium high heat.
- Stir in leeks and garlic; cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes, or until soft and fragrant.
- Stir in broth and garbanzo beans, and season with salt and pepper; heat through.
- Place chard in pan, and cook until wilted.
- Add diced tomatoes, squeeze lemon juice over greens, and heat through.
- Plate and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Sub out the chicken broth with vegetable broth, and this dish becomes a fantastic Vegetarian Recipe or Vegan Recipe.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 1/2 cups
Each serving = 4 Points
PER SERVING: 169 calories; 2g fat; 31g carbohydrates; 9g protein; 9g fiber