If you are looking for a healthy knockoff version of the popular Chinese fast food, Sweet and Sour Chicken, well you came to the right blog today!
This Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe has just 2.5g of fat per serving which is a lot less than the kind you’d buy at a Chinese restaurant. But the taste is fantastic, and it truly tastes just as good as the full fat version.
It’s really easy to make and doesn’t require a lot of ingredients, so it’s a great idea for a delicious dinner recipe if you need a meal in a pinch. I love love LOVE sweet and sour chicken, so I was very hesitant to believe that a baked version would taste just as good, but I was very pleasantly surprised…it truly was DELICIOUS!
If you love Chinese fast food recipes, this one is an absolute must try.
Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
- 1 Oven
- 1 Skillet
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts - cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup cornstarch
- ½ cup liquid egg substitute - like Egg Beaters
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 4 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Dip chicken into the cornstarch to coat then dip into the liquid egg substitute.
- Spray a large skillet with non-fat cooking spray and set over medium high heat. Cook chicken until browned but not cooked through.
- Spray 9x13 baking dish with the non-fat cooking spray and place the chicken in it.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl with a whisk and then pour evenly over the chicken.
- Bake for one hour and turn the chicken every 15-20 minutes.