When you feel the need for a hearty, meat and potatoes meal, this delicious Chipotle Stewed Chicken and Potatoes Recipe is a great choice.
It’s so easy to make, yet is incredibly satisfying and doesn’t taste at all like a Chicken Recipe.
Each large serving could easily be paired with some roasted zucchini or a light salad for a complete and very filling meal. My husband gobbled this up, which says a lot, as he is definitely a meat and potatoes kinda guy.
I love that this chicken recipe can be made quickly and with basic ingredients that I almost always have on hand. So it works in a pinch when I have little time to get a healthy meal on the table for a weeknight dinner. The smoky chipotle seasoning goes very nicely with the acidic tomatoes and the chicken breasts remain juicy and tender.
Chipotle Stewed Chicken and Potatoes Recipe
- 1 Dutch Oven
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts - sliced into 4 fillets
- 4 medium sized potatoes - sliced into sixths (I used Russett)
- 1 large yellow onion
- 28 oz diced tomatoes - 1 can
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 2 tbsp chipotle seasoning blend
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Spray a large Dutch oven with nonfat cooking spray and set over medium high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and then rub chipotle seasoning all over both sides of chicken.
- Place chicken in Dutch oven and cook until each side is browned (about 3-4 minutes each side).
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside. Add in the onions and sauté until onions become tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in broth and then return chicken to pan. Add in tomatoes and garlic powder.
- Let simmer until chicken is just cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and add in potatoes. Cook on low, gently stirring occasionally, until potatoes are soft and tender, about 20-30 minutes.