Always on the lookout for new ways to incorporate quinoa into my recipes, I was thrilled to experiment with some beets that I received in my Farm Fresh to You package this week, and use up the leftover goat cheese I had on hand.
The love child of all these delicious ingredients was this fantastic Quinoa, Beet and Arugula Salad Recipe, which was not only healthy and tasty, it was incredibly filling too.
The combination of the sweet beets, nutty quinoa, peppery arugula and tart goat cheese was a real palate pleaser.
I served this quinoa salad with some grilled chicken and Blueberry Mint Lemonade for a light and fresh, yet satisfying and healthy dinner.
Quinoa, Beet and Arugula Salad Recipe
- 3 cups arugula - chopped
- 1 cup quinoa - uncooked
- 3-4 beets - peeled and sliced
- 2 green onions - sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 oz goat cheese - crumbled
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan, and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Cover pan and bring the water to a boil. Add beets, cover pan, and steam until just tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare quinoa according to package instructions.
- While the quinoa is cooking, whisk olive oil, vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt, and black pepper together in a large bowl.
- Remove quinoa from heat, then immediately add half of the vinegar dressing while fluffing the quinoa with a fork; reserve remaining dressing. Cover and refrigerate quinoa until cool, at least 1 hour.
- Stir green onions, arugula, goat cheese, beets, and remaining dressing into cooled quinoa mixture. Toss lightly before serving.