Even though we are in the midst of summer heat, I came across a super amazing Mushroom Soup Recipe at Season with Spice.
It simply looked too good not to try, and I happened to have a lot of extra mushrooms in the fridge, so despite the 96 degree temperature outside, I got to work re-working her recipe into something more Weight Watchers friendly. I nixed a few fattening ingredients and used my good-old-reliable-use-it-in-just-about-everything ingredient, nonfat Greek yogurt as a substitute for the heavy cream.
I was very happy with how well it turned out – creamy, light, and perfectly seasoned.
The addition of the white wine gave it more of a luxe feel, and the nutmeg in this mushroom soup has such a nice “holiday” taste that I would make this as an appetizer for Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner. Since we are nowhere near those holidays now, I served this with a light, low calorie sandwich recipe for a perfect and healthy lunch.
And at just 1 Point per serving, this healthy mushroom soup recipe is a great way to help fill you up before a meal without sacrificing a lot of Weight Watchers Points.
Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 1 Saucepan
- 8 oz mushrooms - 1 package, finely chopped
- 1 cup fat free vegetable broth
- ¼ cup white wine
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 tbsp light butter - I used Brummel & Brown
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ cup fat free milk
- ½ cup plain - non-fat Greek yogurt at room temp
- Generously pray a medium sized sauce pan with nonfat cooking spray, and set over medium heat. Add in the garlic, and butter and sauté until garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add in the wine and mushrooms and sauté for another 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally until broth boils, then reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in milk and nutmeg, and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat, let sit for 2 minutes, and then stir in yogurt. Stir constantly until well blended.
- Divide evenly amongst 4 small bowls and serve immediately.