Looking for a new Weight Watchers Breakfast Recipe idea? These Italian Egg (Whites) over Polenta with are delicious!
It’s kind of like a unique version of Chicken Parmigiana, with eggs instead of chicken, and polenta instead breading. It is SO good! And just 6 Points per serving, so you get a very savory and filling meal without using up a lot of those precious Points.
This is a really versatile dish that can also be prepared for lunch or dinner too. In fact, the first time I made this, it was for dinner. The traditional Italian Eggs recipe uses whole eggs, which you could certainly do instead if you don’t mind spending a few more Points.
I make it for my husband like this, and I cook the egg for about a minute less so that it’s runny. He LOVES it like this. I prefer it with my egg white version. :) But either way, this is one tasty and unique egg recipe that will add some excitement to breakfast!
Italian Eggs Over Polenta
This delicious traditional Italian recipe is a usually eaten for breakfast, but works well as a light dinner or lunch. It’s flavorful, filling, and incredibly quick and easy to make.
- 1 16 oz log polenta, cut into 12 slices
- 2 cups jarred marinara
- 1 6 oz package baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/2 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Spray a baking sheet with nonfat cooking spray, and arrange the polenta slices on it. Lightly sprinkle a bit of salt and pepper onto the slices. Place in oven and bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until polenta is heated through and begins to turn golden on the edges.
- Spray a medium sized skillet with non-fat cooking spray, and set over medium high heat. Add in garlic, and saute until garlic becomes fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in spinach leaves and cook until spinach wilts, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in marinara sauce and cook until thoroughly heated.
- Make a small indentation in the spinach and sauce mixture, creating a small well for the egg. And then gently pour ¼ cup liquid egg whites into the well. Continue with remaining egg whites.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cover and let cook about 5 minutes.
- Place 3 slices of polenta on each plate or shallow bowl. Top with 1 egg white well, ¼ of the spinach/sauce, and then cover with 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese.
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Reduced fat, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Italian
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is 3 slices polenta with egg whites, ¼ spinach/sauce and 2 tbsp of parmesan cheese
Each serving = 6 Points
PER SERVING: 220 calories; 5g fat; 28g carbohydrates; 24g protein; 6g fiber