If nothing says “comfort food” to you like cheesy chicken rolled up in a flour tortilla and then smothered in a creamy sauce, topped with even more cheese, well then you are in for a treat today.
This White Chicken and Cheese Enchilada Casserole Recipe is nothing short of delicious. Packed with tons of fiber and protein, these almost burrito-sized enchiladas, are insanely filling. I ate one with some roasted veggies on the side and I was FULL.
These are really easy to make, and make a great large casserole recipe that can easily feed the whole family. They also make great leftovers and reheat pretty nicely.
Each White Chicken and Cheese Enchilada is just 6 Points per serving – definitely a bargain. They make the perfect Weight Watchers Recipe for when you are craving some serious Mexican comfort food.
White Chicken and Cheese Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- 1 Oven
- 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breast - cooked and shredded
- 1 small red onion - diced
- 2 large zucchini - diced
- 8 whole wheat flour tortillas
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- ½ cup reduced fat sour cream
- 4 oz green chiles - 1 can
- 1 tbsp whole wheat - all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese blend - shredded
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro - finely chopped
- 2 green onions - diced
- 2 jalapenos - seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp light butter
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Zest from 1 lime
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9” x 13” casserole pan with non-fat cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, zucchini, onion, 1/2 cup of the fat-free sour cream, ½ cup shredded cheese, cumin, lime zest, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- One at a time, roll up the chicken mixture into each tortilla and then place it in the casserole dish.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter, stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add broth and whisk until smooth. Heat over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in chiles and the remainder of the sour cream, and heat until well combined and heated through about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour sour cream sauce over enchiladas, and then top with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until casserole is cooked through and cheese begins to brown and bubble.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro, green onions, and diced jalapenos.
Has anyone tried these with corn tortillas?
These are awesome! To make them even better, Next time I am going to sauté the onions first and add a bit more flour to the sauce. I am sure this will add to the points but hopefully not too much?
I enjoyed the casserole as it was, but with the different tortilla brands and using a 10oz can of precooked chicken, the points came out to just under 10. I think next time I will add another can of chicken and use one less zucchini and it’ll be right at 10 pts. I really liked the cream sauce. Melissa, did you let the broth boil down enough? It took longer than the recipe said, but I was able to reduce it to a nice rich sauce. Be sure to add the broth a little bit at a time so the flour/butter mixture dissolves correctly.
I followed the recipe exactly, and it had very good flavors, although the sauce was very runny… I would have preferred it to be more saucy and less soupy. I’d maybe cut down on the chicken broth if I were going to make it again
LOVE this recipe!
These are AMAZING
This one was a HUGE hit at my house tonight!