General Tso’s Chicken has always been one of my favorite Chinese foods. But the traditional deep fried version is loaded with tons of fat, calories and carbohydrates.
By using skinless chicken breasts instead of dark meat, by using less breading on the chicken, and by baking instead of frying, I was able to really bring this popular Chinese food recipe down in Points. I also made my own sauce using a lot less sugar and fresh ingredients, making it incredibly flavorful and yet still low calorie and low in fat.
Serve it over some brown rice, or toss it with some stir-fried vegetables for a complete meal, or just eat it by itself! Each serving of my Baked General Tso’s Chicken Recipe has just 5 Points per serving. And it tastes just as good as the kind you’d get in the restaurant, but with a LOT less guilt.
Dieters who are Chinese food lovers can rejoice in this Weight Watchers Chinese food recipe that is truly delicious. Enjoy!
Baked General Tso’s Chicken
Just as good as the deep fried version you’ll find at your favorite Chinese food restaurant, this low calorie Baked General Tso’s Chicken Recipe is amazing. Hard to believe that each serving is just 5 Points.
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp chili sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and mist with nonfat cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Dip chicken strips in liquid egg substitute, shake off excess and lightly coat in flour. Place chicken strips on baking sheet and lightly mist with an olive oil mister, or more non-fat cooking spray.
- Bake chicken in oven for about 30 min, turning over once at halfway through cooking time. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, combine soy sauce, vinegar, minced garlic, minced ginger, sugar, chili sauce and sesame oil in a small sauce pan set over medium heat. Once sauce has begun to lightly simmer, mix cornstarch and I tsp water in a small cup, and then pour into sauce. Continue to cook, stirring regularly, until sauce has thickened up a bit, about 3-5 more minutes. If sauce remains runny, add in some additional cornstarch, tsp by tsp. Another tsp or two will not affect the Points value.
- Toss the cooked chicken pieces with the sauce and serve immediately.
If the sauce is still a bit runny, add another tsp of cornstarch – it won’t affect the Points value.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Chinese
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 cup
Each serving = 5 Points
PER SERVING: 233 calories; 5g fat; 13g carbohydrates; 29g protein; 1g fiber