My BFF, Janice, makes an amazing breakfast quiche recipe that her whole family loves, so, inspired by her, I created my own version. And wow, is it GOOD! This Cheesy Spinach and Mushroom Quiche recipe is sooooo easy, and the end result is a beautiful, ridiculously delicious, mouthwatering treat. Though quiche is typically considered a breakfast food, it makes a wonderful dinner or lunch too. By using egg whites instead of whole eggs, and a light butter, milk and cheese, I was able to dramatically cut down fat, calories, and cholesterol. Though I chose spinach and mushrooms to use, you can really use any kind of vegetable you want. Also, I used a premade whole wheat pie shell for this, which I bought at Whole Foods, and it is excellent. However, I couldn’t find a good, low calorie premade pie shell, so this recipe came out a little higher in Points than I originally wanted. If you are crafty enough to make your own low calorie pie shell from scratch, then A. you are awesome, and B. It might shave off another Point or so, or allow for larger servings. Either way, it’s an incredibly healthy quiche that is still way lower in Weight Watchers Points than traditional quiche recipes. This dish is a must try!
Cheesy Spinach and Mushroom Quiche
Start your morning off right with this amazingly delicious and healthy breakfast quiche. Full of fiber and protein, it’s filling and very tasty. Traditionally, a breakfast dish, but this Weight Watchers Quiche Recipe can be enjoyed at any meal.
- 1 whole wheat pie crust
- 1 cup reduced fat extra sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup liquid egg whites
- 1/2 cup fat free milk
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup green onions, diced
- 1 tbsp light butter, melted
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the egg whites, milk, butter, salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- Spray a small skillet with non-fat cooking spray and set over medium high heat. Once the pan is hot, add in the spinach and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Place ½ cup cheese on bottom of pie shell. Top with spinach and other vegetables. Now top with remaining cheese. Pour egg white mixture over top of everything.
- Place in oven and bake for about 45 minutes, or until egg is cooked through and is no longer runny.
- Let set for about 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 8 servings.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 slice of quiche
Each serving = 5 Points
PER SERVING: 181 calories; 11g fat; 11g carbohydrates; 9.5g protein; 2g fiber