My BFF, Janice, makes an amazing breakfast quiche recipe that her whole family loves, so, inspired by her, I created my own version. And wow, is it GOOD!
This Cheesy Spinach and Mushroom Quiche recipe is sooooo easy, and the end result is a beautiful, ridiculously delicious, mouthwatering treat. Though quiche is typically considered a breakfast food, it makes a wonderful dinner or lunch too.
Though I chose spinach and mushrooms to use, you can really use any kind of vegetable you want. Also, I used a premade whole wheat pie shell for this, which I bought at Whole Foods, and it is excellent. However, I couldn’t find a good, low calorie premade pie shell, so this recipe came out a little higher in Points than I originally wanted.
If you are crafty enough to make your own low calorie pie shell from scratch, then A. you are awesome, and B. It might shave off another Point or so, or allow for larger servings. Either way, it’s an incredibly healthy quiche that is still way lower in Weight Watchers Points than traditional quiche recipes.
This dish is a must try!
CHEESY SPINACH AND MUSHROOM QUICHE RECIPE
- 1 whole wheat pie crust
- 1 cup reduced fat extra sharp cheddar - (shredded)
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup fat free milk
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach - (chopped)
- 1 cup mushrooms - (sliced)
- ¼ cup green onions - (diced)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- Place ½ cup cheese on bottom of pie shell. Top with spinach and other vegetables. Now top with remaining cheese. Pour egg mixture over top of everything.
- Place in oven and bake for about 45 minutes, or until egg is cooked through and is no longer runny.
- Let set for about 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 8 servings.
Do I need to saute the mushrooms first?
You don’t need to, but you can if you want.
Bet it would be great with a phyllo dough crust too.
This looks delicious!