Recently, I came across this Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe at Fresh Family Meals, and was extremely skeptical about the end result. Traditional Chinese Fried Rice is one of the most popular and beloved Chinese food recipes out there, and some things are just sacred. That being said, I sure do LOVE fried rice, so despite my skepticism, the promise of delicious, low Points fried rice made me believe it was worth a shot. I tweaked the original version of the recipe just a tad to make it a bit tastier and a bit more Weight Watchers friendly, but let me tell you, it was fantastic! I can honestly say that it tasted pretty darn close to traditional fried rice, though each cup sized serving came out to just 2 Points vs the 10 Points of restaurant prepared fried rice. That is a HUGE deal people. And it is surprisingly easy to prepare…the only real work involved is grating the cauliflower. I’d recommend a food processor for this task, but if you don’t have one, a cheese grater will work just fine, it’ll just require more elbow grease. This would make a perfect low Points Weight Watchers Side Dish to serve with your favorite main course…I served it with my Sesame Chicken, and it was perfection. Low calorie, low fat, low carb, low Points, and fabulous, familiar flavor…what more could you ask for? This Cauliflower Fried Rice Recipe is an absolute must try.
Cauliflower Fried Rice
What a way to satisfy your Chinese food craving! By subbing out the actual rice with grated cauliflower, you get a much healthier, yet equally tasty version of Chinese Fried Rice. Full of fiber and low in fat, this healthy side dish recipe is just 2 Points per serving.
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, grated
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 of a medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 egg whites, scrambled
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- Green onions for garnish, thinly sliced
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in onions and garlic and sauté until onion soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add in peas and carrots, and cook until carrots become tender, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in cauliflower and soy sauce, and cook while stirring frequently for about 8 minutes.
- Add in the prepared egg whites, and cook until egg whites are heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Garnish with green onions before serving.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Chinese
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 1 heaping cup
Each serving = 2 Points
PER SERVING: 109 calories; 3.5g fat; 12.5g carbohydrates; 7g protein; 5g fiber