Ok, so this really isn’t a recipe as much as it is a public service announcement for an often overlooked squash…the delicata. Although it’s considered a winter squash, it’s actually in the same species as all other summer squashes. After a recommendation from the cashier at Trader Joe’s, I grabbed one of these lovely little delicate squashes and brought it home to add in as a quick side dish for dinner that night. I just did a simple roast on it with nothing more than a light misting of olive oil and sea salt, but wow was it good! And SO much easier to work with than butternut squash. I left the skin on when cooking, and then just peeled it very easily right off of the skin as I ate it. It was tender, mildly sweet and absolutely delicious. Next time, I want to try it with topping I used on these Spicy Acorn Squash Wedges. This Roasted Delicata Squash Recipe is simple, delicious and full of nutrients. So the next time you want to try some squash, don’t overlook the delicata!
Roasted Delicata Squash
Simple and nutritious, the delightful delicata squash gets featured in this easy and healthy recipe. The caramelization that occurs during the roasting process adds a wonderful and complex flavor to a beautiful and uncomplicated squash.
- 2 delicata squash, seeded and sliced
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a small baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and mist with cooking spray.
- Cut the squash by first cutting it in half lengthwise. With a spoon scoop out the seeds and discard (or you can roast them like pumpkin seeds if you’d like!).
- Now slice each half into 1/2 once segments. Place onto baking sheet and mist lightly with an olive oil mister, making sure to cover all sides of the squash flesh. Season with salt.
- Place in oven and roast for about 20-30 minutes, turning occasionally, until squash is tender and has begun to brown.
- Season with additional squash as desired.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Entire recipe makes 4 servings
Serving size is about 6-8 slices
Each serving = 0 Points
PER SERVING: 30 calories; 0g fat; 2g protein; 18g carbohydrates; 3g fiber